The Purchasing Agent is responsible for coordinating between team members and trade partners to ensure an effective contract negotiation, selection and evaluation process from bid packages, final contract award and completion of work.
Role and Responsibilities
- Build/maintain preferred supplier/subcontractor list
- Bidding/analyzing/qualifying/negotiating/awarding contracts with trade partners
- Maintain and/or develop estimating cost data to improve bid accuracy
- Continually decrease hard costs
- Ensure all tasks critical to field production take place in an orderly and timely manner
- Work with the estimating function and construction sales team on providing specialty quotes to potential clients
- Obtains and evaluates all documents/data required for bidding, including specifications, scopes of work, architectural documents, site plans, soils reports, community guidelines and all other pertinent documents that affect vertical costs of construction
- Works collaboratively with construction and customer care to ensure scopes of work for each trade are clearly understood and adhered to by trade partners
- Negotiates with trade partners to determine selection based upon bid comparison (prepare, solicit and evaluate bids), in compliance/alignment with company policies and procedures
- Works collaboratively with construction and customer care to manage trade partner performance monitoring within the division (i.e. cost, quality, productivity, service)
- Prepares and communicates sequence sheets, maps, plan and phasing information as new phases are released to construction
- Initiates and processes necessary documentation regarding option requests to trade partners, field personnel, sales and accounting departments
- Reviews requests for construction changes and extras with assigned Construction Managers, Purchasing Manager/Director and other division team members
- Researches, evaluates and provides recommendations for new product development
- Attends frame walks, designer walks, and/or collaborative team meetings in the office or field as requested or required
- Prepares onsite estimate per trade, plan and elevation (costs and quantities) to determine project costs
- Conducts periodic market analysis to benchmark labor costs and quantities for optimization
- Enhances database and reporting capability with an understanding of base house and option cost relationships
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and developed relationships with local trade base preferred
- Superior organizational and communication skills
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of blue prints and construction documents
- Knowledge of the construction industry and codes
- Understanding of scopes of work and ability to hold trades accountable throughout the bid process
- Experience with computer systems such as Word and Excel
- Ability to apply reasoning to a variety of situations
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with management, outside trades and contractors.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to understand questions and instructions from supervisors.
- Ability to do basic math.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- 3 years previous purchasing or supply chain experience and/or 5 years of residential development field operations, with strong scheduling experience required.
- Estimating experience
- Field experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, business administration or related field preferred
- Time is spent in an office environment
- Time is spent at construction job sites
- Must be able to travel to locations to meet with clients
- Must be prepared to wear a hard hat, work boots and goggles at potentially dangerous job sites
- Must be able to work in high pressure situations facing strict deadlines
Daily public office hours are from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm. A one-hour lunch break will be provided. Typical duties, as well as disaster recovery work & company events, this position may require occasional nights, travel away from home, weekends and/or holidays.
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Occasional lifting, up to 25 lbs.
A Non-Compete and Confidentiality Agreement are required for this position. Side work of any nature is not permitted and will be grounds for immediate dismissal as detailed in the agreements.
Job Type: Full-time
Reports to: Director of Construction
**Complete Construction Contractors, L.L.C. is an equal opportunity employer.